Thursday 23 December 2010

Book Update.

So anyway I have been reading a few books lately I thought I might tell you about them.

The Miracles of Prato.
It was an interesting book but probably not one I would have chosen myself. You can find out what I thought about it here.

The Book Thief.
This is a book about a young girl named Liesel Meminger living in Germany in the late 30s and early 40s. She starts to take books and learns to read, from these books. It also portrays her relationships with those who live around her and how her foster family hides a Jewish fist-fighter from the Nazis. As well as her growing up.
I found this book really interesting as it gives a different perspective on that era not least because the narrator of the book is Death.

The Secret Life of Bees.
Lily Owens runs away from home with her black housekeeper in the summer of '64 when  race riots where breaking out cause of the new Civil Rights Act. She stays with the Boatwright sisters who teach her about bee keeping and she learns about her mother whom Lily believed she had killed when she was 4.
It was an interesting book because of the racial aspects but I thought there was too much wierd religion. The sisters were Catholic but with there own rituals added in and it seemed to me that it was completely devoid of God and the whole focus was on Mary, like she had God's power. I googled the author and found out she had journeyed into feminine spirituality and I found it kind of wierd.

So the next book I will read is The Time Traveler's Wife.

No comments: